Australian Embassy
Norway, Iceland

Notarial Services

Notarial Services

Comprehensive information about the different notarial and legal services provided by Australian Embassies overseas is available on the Smartraveller website.


How to book an appoinment

We provide notarial services by appoinment at the Australian Embassy Copenhagen. Appointments are available on the following days:

  • Tuesday afternoons between 13.00 - 15.00
  • Thursday mornings between 10.00 - 12.00

Book an appointment with Australian Embassy Copenhagen using SetMore


Please bring a valid passport or ID card and the original documents to the appointment.

Fees for notarial services are available here. Payment can be made at the Embassy via card or MobilePay.



Notarial Services via post 

If the notarial service does not require you to appear in person (e.g. certified copies, apostille, authentications), you can send the original documents to the Embassy by registered mail or courier.

Please include a cover letter, with a description of the service you need, your return address and contact information. We will return your original documents to you along with the notarised ones.

You must transfer the corresponding notarial fees to our Embassy account, including the return postage costs. Include a message in the transfer box, so we are able to identify your payment.


Postal address:

Australian Embassy Copenhagen
Attn: Consular
Dampfærgevej 26, 2nd floor
DK-2100 Copenhagen OE



Overview of Notarial Services

Here are the notarial services and acts that can be performed at the Australian Embassy in Copenhagen:


By post / in person:

  • Authentications and apostilles
  • Certifying documents and photographs
  • Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI) - can also be requested by email

In person only:

  • Witnessing the signatures on Australian forms
  • Witnessing and taking of affidavits, oaths, or affirmations
  • Witnessing Commonwealth and State statutory declarations
  • Witnessing notices of intended marriage
  • Buying or selling property or land in Australia.



Apostilles and Authentications

Submit by post or book an appointment.

The apostille or authentication certificate verifies the signature, stamp, or seal on the original document, or that of the Notary Public for documents they've notarised.

  • We can't advise you which one you need so make sure you check with the receiving authority
  • We provide apostilles on documents issued by state/territory Registries of Births Deaths and Marriages, Court documents (including Divorce certificates), Police Checks, Education documents and other documents issued by Australian Government departments (Note: we cannot issue an apostille on a document that has been tampered, altered, or otherwise damaged)
  • If you require your Australian education documents verified with an Apostille or via Authentication, detailed information can be found on DFAT's Smartraveller website, describing what documents can be legalised
  • Apostilles on foreign issued documents: Denmark, Norway, Iceland
  • Find more information on Smartraveller. Check relevant fees here.


Find translators in your area:




Certifying true copies of documents or photographs

Submit by post or book an appointment.

At the Embassy we can certify photographs and true copies of original documents. We will photocopy your documents and apply the following certification: "This is a true copy of the document presented to me". These are DFAT approved words and cannot change.

  • The documents must be Australian, or documents that will be used in Australia. We can't advise you which documents need to be certified so make sure you check that with receiving authority.
  • Find more information on Smartraveller. Check relevant fees here.


If you need to provide the Embassy with a certified copy of a document

You can find a registered Notary Public in your region:

^In Norway, certified copies (‘Rett Kopi’) may be made at the following locations:

  • District Court (‘Tingretten’)
  • Local Police Station
  • Local Municipality (‘Kommune’)

          Some District Courts may not certify copies of foreign documents, so you will need to check with them directly.

          The Embassy will also accept certified copies from Norwegian copy shops that provide domestically-recognised certified copies (‘Rett Kopi’).
          An official stamp and/or seal must be used.


Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI)

Submit by post, email, or book an appointment.

If you're going overseas to get married, you may need a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage (CNI). You may also need to legalise the CNI so ask the receiving authority if you need an apostille or authentication certificate on your CNI.


In person:

By post or by email:

  • Download and complete the application form for a certificate of no impediment to marriage (CNI).
  • Sign the application in front of a Public Notary (check 'Witnessing signatures' section)
  • Obtain a certified copy of your passport (for the Australian citizen), birth certificate (for the Australian citizen) and divorce papers (if applicable)
  • Send us by post or by email: the application completed and signed, the certified copies of your passport and birth certificate, the certified copies of your future spouse’s passport and birth certificate
  • Pay the fees via bank transfer
  • The application and supporting documents can be submitted by email (PDF format only) to: [email protected].


Find more information here:

Smartraveller: Certificates of No Impediment (CNI) to Marriage

Attorney-General’s Department: Download resources

Single status certificate: Births, deaths, and marriage registries

Notice of Intended Marriage: Marriage Celebrant


Witnessing signatures

You need to book an appointment.

In order for an Embassy officer to witness your signature please read the forms carefully and verify who can be the witnessing officer. Embassy Consular or Diplomatic officers are authorised under the Oaths Act 1900, Consular Fees Act 1955 or Statutory Declarations Act of 1959.

  • It is the responsibility of the client to present the document to be serviced in the correct form, and to provide the correct instructions for witnessing.
  • To have your signature witnessed at the Embassy, you must book an appointment and bring suitable photographic identification. Check relevant fees here.


Affidavits (Oaths and Affirmations)

You need to book an appointment.

An affidavit is a legally binding statement of fact used as evidence in court or other legal proceedings. The person making the affidavit must swear an oath (a religious statement) or make an affirmation (a non-religious statement) that the contents of the affidavit are true and correct. 

  • It is your responsibility to provide the document in the correct form and any additional witnessing/administering instructions. We take no responsibility for the correctness of the form of an affidavit.
  • At the Embassy, only a diplomatic officer can assist with the affidavit.
  • To request an affidavit, please book an appointment at the Embassy.
  • Find more information on Smartraveller. Check relevant fees here.


Statutory declaration

You need to book an appointment.

A statutory declaration is a statement of fact(s) that you declare to be true. It can be used as evidence. Please complete the statutory declaration (do not sign) and have it ready for an officer to witness your signature at the Australian Embassy.
  • For a copy of a blank statutory declaration form, please visit here.


Selling or buying property in Australia

You need to book an appointment.

Consular staff at the Embassy can assist you. At the time of the interview, you must provide the instructions from your legal representative in Australia - in addition to the original documents you need witnessed or certified. Your conveyancer can email us those instructions directly, or you can print out the instructions and bring them with you if you have already received them



Notarial Disclaimer: Please ensure that documents relating to notarial services you require from the Australian Embassy are presented in the correct form and that you provide the correct instructions for witnessing any signatures on the documents. If you are unsure of the legislative requirements relating to witnessing signatures on a particular document, you should seek independent legal advice. Please note, by witnessing a signature on a document, neither the Australian Government nor the Australian Embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark guarantees the legal effectiveness of the document or the accuracy of its contents. Always ask the receiving authority who else can witness it for you, you may not need DFAT. Notarial fees are non-refundable.


Updated/reviewed  4 August 2021