Australian Embassy
Norway, Iceland

Driving Licence information

Information on exchanging Driving Licences


On 1 April 2016, the Danish government enacted legislation to allow Australian driving licence holders to exchange their valid, full licences to a Danish one, provided certain criteria were met. Part of the criteria is to submit evidence that your driving licence is valid. This can be done by applying for a Driving History report from the issuing office in Australia.

"Påtænkt afslag på ombytning af udenlandsk kørekort"
If you have already submitted an application, you will eventually receive a letter from the Police in your E-boks, advising you that the Police are considering to not issue a driving licence to you, because they cannot verify that it is genuine. This is normal.
Please forward this letter to the Embassy - - and apply for the Driving History report from the Department of Transport which issued the driving licence (details below).

Some reports can be obtained electronically, some reports require an Apostille before Police can accept them as evidence that your driving licence is real. See how to obtain a Driving History report.

The Danish Road Safety Agency (Færdselsstyrelsen) provide detailed information on their website:øg.aspx

Copenhagen Commune has a specific website, outlining what is required in Copenhagen: 


The Norwegian Public Roads Administration (Vegvesen) provides information on how to drive in Norway on an Australian licence:


The Icelandic Multicultural and Information centre provides information about driving in Iceland and links to other official sites:

Obtaining a driving history report from Australia

The Danish authorities will only accept driving history reports coming either directly from the issuing office or via the Australian Embassy.
If they are sent digitally to your email, then the report MUST contain a signature before the Embassy can validate it.

*VicRoads issue Digital Reports and then post them (snailmail) overseas. You should ensure the reports are emailed to the Embassy.

As more and more offices provide digitally issued reports, please ensure that if you order a electronically issued report that the receiver is either the Danish Police or the Australian Embassy. The Australian Embassy can receive reports via email using the below contact details:


If your issuing office does not provide electronic reports, they must be signed and mailed to the Australian Embassy where we can affix an apostille on the document.  A logo is insufficient. A signature must be verifiable by DFAT in order for us affix an Apostille.
The Apostille process is explained here:

These are the direct links to the offices, which can issue you with a Driving history report.

Queensland – QLD
Until further notice, we cannot issue Apostilles on Driver History reports from Queensland.
Instead, you must submit an application for a Traffic History by post:

Victoria - Vic
You must first sign up with My VicRoads, then call the operators at VicRoads within their opening hours on +61 3 8391 3216 and authorise that you want the report sent by email to

If the VicRoads operator will not take down the email address “” , please ask the operator to contact the Searches team on ext. 2388.

Western Australia - WA
Holders of driving licences can authorise third parties, like the commune or Police, to use the online verification form to confirm licence validity :

Online sample reports - NSW, VIC, SA
Sample reports are available online New South Wales (NSW), Victoria (VIC) and South Australia (SA). See direct links below.
When applying for an electronic report, make sure it is sent directly to the Police or the Embassy - not via you.


Australian Capital Territory – ACT
Licence History Search  
 - The driving licence holder can authorise a third party to obtain their information on their behalf

New South Wales – NSW
You can apply for your driving record online:
Sample of NSW Driving Record:

Northern Territory – NT
Complete Traffic History check
 - Only the holder may apply for their driving record.

Queensland - QLD
You must apply for a Traffic History by Post and request to have it emailed directly to the Embassy on

Please include a cover page with instructions to where the completed report must be sent, including an explanation for this additional request. You may need to submit certified copies of your ID which the Embassy can assist with in accordance with our Notarial Service charter.

South Australia – SA
You can apply for your driving licence report online and have it sent by email to the Embassy -
A Sample Report is available online: 

Tasmania – TAS
You can apply for your Driving report by applying for the information to be released.
 - The holder must apply for their own Driving History

Victoria – VIC (updated instructions as per December 2018)

VicRoads should email your driving history report directly to the Australian Embassy in Copenhagen, who can then forward it to the Danish Police Driving Licence unit. We are no longer able to receive fax. Our email is

To have the report emailed to the Embassy, sign up with 'My VicRoads' Account and then contact VicRoads within their opening hours on +61 3 8391 3216 and authorise the transaction. VicRoads operators are required to verify all details of the licence holder prior to creating a request. Once the details are verified, then only the operator can proceed with the request.

If the operator will not take down the email address “” , please ask the operator to contact the Searches team on ext. 2388.

Please ensure you have provided the Embassy any letters, Police case file number and CPR number prior to this.
Sample reports are available online:

Western Australia – WA*)
Driver licence details can be verified by third parties online:
Suspended licence check

*) Please note that if your Western Australian driving history reports needs to be affixed an Apostille, it must first be notarised by an Australian notary public unless the signature/seal on the report is verifiable in the DFAT signature’s database.
Western Australian Notary Publics :

Renewing or Replacing your Australian driver licence while overseas

Some states allow Australian drivers to renew their licence while overseas.
The application process is managed by the Department of Transport in your home state, so you cannot lodge an application at the Embassy.
Please use this link to find the information from your home state:

If you are unable (or need the licence for ID purposes while overses) to submit your current licence along with the application form, you can have your ID certified and your signature witnessed by a Diplomatic officer at the Australian Embassy.

Book an appointment with a Diplomatic Officer:

Updated/Reviewed:  30 April 2019