Australian Embassy
Embassy address: Dampfaergevej 26, 2nd Floor, Copenhagen Ø - Telephone: 7026 3676 - Fax: 7026 3686

Travelling to Australia

Immigration and Visas

All travellers, except New Zealand citizens, must obtain a visa or travel authority before travelling to Australia. See also under Visas and migration.

Tourism information

Tourism Australia's website offers a wide range of travel information and planning tools including suggested holiday itineraries, interactive maps and weather updates. This website also contains references to Danish and Norwegian travel agents who specialise in Australia. Danish and Norwegian citizens between 18 and 30 years of age may be eligible to travel to Australia on Working Holiday visas.

Additional travel related information can be found through the Australian Government's Internet gateway and on the States' and Territories' websites:

Tourist Refund Scheme

The Tourism Refunds Scheme enables you to claim a refund, subject to certain conditions, of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on goods you buy in Australia, provided that you take them out of Australia at the end of your visit


When travelling to Australia, you should be mindful of the import restrictions regarding medicine. If you require special medication, you must bring an English language prescription from your doctor, complete with your doctor's contact details, and you may only bring 3 months worth of supplies.
More information on Restrictions on Import of Medicines

Vaccinations are not required to enter AUstralia unless you have been in a Yellow Fever zone before arriving in Austraila.
Department of Immigration information on Yellow Fever

If you want more information about vaccinations, or your personal situation, please visit a doctor prior to making arrangements for your trip. 

You are advised to carry certification of your vaccination status, especially for
children attending Australian child care centres (including preschools and
creches) and schools. Vaccinations against polio, tetanus, measles, mumps,
rubella, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), Haemophilus influenzae type
B (Hib) and Hepatitis B is recommended for children with certification sought
at time of child care centre (including preschools and creches) and school

Vaccination against rubella is also recommended for women of
child bearing age. 

Other information: The Travel Doctor's Useful Links

Customs and Quarantine

Australian Customs Service manages the security and integrity of the Australian border and assists people and cargo to move in and out of the country. This is a Quick Guide for incoming Travellers.

Important notice regarding Christmas shipments to Australia

Questions regarding customs and quarantine can also be directed to the Australian Embassy in Brussels which has a customs department. Tel: +32 2 286 05 87 or +32 2 286 05 84 or +32 2 286 05 83

Foreign Missions in Australia