Australian Embassy
Norway, Iceland

Visas - Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

The below answers have been provided by the Australian Department of Home Affairs as the Australian Embassy in Denmark does not have a visa or immigration section.

Explore your visa options for Australia:
Change in your passport details? Update your details in ImmiAccount or complete form 929 and email it to [email protected]

If you hold an EU passport and you are going to Australia as a Tourist for less than 3 months, please check out if the free of charge eVisitor visa is right for you:

If your question is not answered below, you should contact the Department of Home Affairs Service Helpdesk in Australia on +61 2 61 960196 - their phone lines are open weekdays 09:00-17:00 (Copenhagen time).

Can I Bring... ?

Passport valididty, 1-way tickets and documentation requirements

Visa questions - what  if...


I have prescription medicine, what are the rules for how much I can bring?

For information about bringing medicine into and taking medicine out of Australia, please see:

Please bear in mind that if you have health concerns, you may need to declare this when you apply for you visa. For information about the Health Requirement for Australian visas, please see Health Requirement factsheet:

What can I bring to Australia?
For information about bringing items to Australia, please see:
This includes candy, food items, tobacco and cigarettes.
Check out the Duty Free concessions here:

What can't I bring to Australia? (e.g. weapons)

For information about bringing prohibited items and weapons to Australia, please see:

Seasonal items
In December, we see an increase in requests to send items to Australia. Please familiarise yourself with the following information from the Australian Department of Agriculture website:

Duty Free items
Some items will be duty free - please make sure you stay within the limit and declare what you must:

Unsure if you can bring it? Check out Miscellaneous category

I am travelling with a child, but I am not the child’s parent. Do I need to provide special permission from the parents to enter Australia?
Applicants who are under 18 years of age who are applying for a visa and travelling with only one parent / legal guardian or without either of their parents/guardians must provide evidence that both their parents / legal guardians consent to their travel to Australia.  

This consent is required to ensure that approval (grant) of a visa to a child who is under the age of 18 is not in contravention of Australia’s international obligations in relation to the prevention of child abduction.

If a child under the age of 18 has been approved (granted) an ETA or eVisitor visa it is assumed that consent to travel has been given by both parents. If the child will be travelling without one or both of their parents /legal guardians they should carry consent documents.

In addition to a valid passport, these documents can include:

 - a completed parental consent form (Form 1229) signed by both parents / legal guardians OR a statutory declaration giving permission for the following child/children to visit/migrate to Australia from the non-migrating parent or any other non-migrating person who has the legal right to determine where the following child/children can live. The statutory declaration must also make it clear that the person witnessing the statement (i.e. solicitor, Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or Magistrate) has seen some form of photo identification of the person making the statement. The document must either be on the business letterhead paper of the witness, or provide their full contact details. 

Form 1229 - Consent to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years is available from the department's website at:

 - a copy of the child's birth certificate

The birth certificate must state the names of both birth parents. If your Birth Certificate is not in English, you should provide an English language translation which has been certified by a Public Notary or by an appropriate person who would normally be authorised to witness the signing of legal documents under the law of your country.


Can I travel to Australia on a 1-way ticket?
It is possible to enter Australia on a one way ticket. Nevertheless, please note that you may be asked to clarify and may need to satisfy the Australian Immigration authorities on arrival that you do not intend to stay beyond the period which your visa allows and that you have sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket. Proof of funds can be demonstrated in the form of the most recent bank statement or any other proof demonstrating available funds.

Do I need 6 months validity on my passport to enter Australia?

It is not a mandatory requirement of the Australian Department of Home Affairs that a foreign national entering Australia has a passport valid for at least 6 months, it is only a recommendation. However it is a mandatory requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that all non-Australian citizens wishing to enter Australia have a valid passport and valid Australian Visa on their date of entry to Australia.

Although the Department of Home Affairs does not enforce the 6-month rule, some airlines do, so you may wish to check with your airline before you book your flight.

I have used a Migration Agent, how can I check the status of the visa?

If you have used a commercial agency/Migration Agent to apply for your visa, and not the ImmiAccount system on the Australian Department of Home Affairs website, please liaise with your agency/Migration Agent for further updates.

If you wish to withdraw your Migration Agent’s appointment as your authorised contact/recipient, please complete and submit form 956 to your processing office. Nevertheless, please note that only certain visa options will allow you to create an ImmiAccount, import your own online application and follow up the visa process directly.

Once your visa has been granted, please note that you can access your visa information at any time using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. You will need to use your unique Transaction Reference Number (TRN) or your Visa Grant number to do this.

Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO):

My visa request got rejected, what do I do?
Your case officer has provided the details of the reason for refusal in the decision letter that you have received. We would recommend that you read this carefully. If you have the right to have your decision reviewed by a review body, this information will be included in the decision letter.

If you do not have review rights, you may consider lodging another visa application. Nevertheless, please note that it is in your interests to ensure that you provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate that you meet the relevant criteria before you lodge a new application.

How long does it take to get a visa?
The Department aims to process 75 per cent applications within the advertised service standards. However, actual processing times may vary depending on a range of factors and on a case by case basis. We recommend you do not make any irreversible travel arrangements until you receive a decision on your visa application.

For a full list of our service standards, please see:

I will be leaving in a week/few days, is there a way that I can quickly get a visa?

The Department of Home Affairs specifies that non-Australian citizens travelling to Australia should enter Australia on visa appropriate for their intended purpose of stay and length of stay.

To help you identify a visa that suits your personal circumstances, you may like to use our website and ‘Find a visa’ search tool. Please see:

If you have already lodged the appropriate application and you have compelling or compassionate reasons to travel urgently to Australia, please contact the Global Service Centre for further assistance.

I need to supply Biometric Information, where can I get that done?

If you are in Europe and have received a requirement to provide biometrics, the nearest Biometrics Collection Centre may be in France or Greece. Further information is available at and
The Australian Embassy in Copenhagen cannot assist with Biometric Collection.

I am applying for a Student Visa, but I have not received my admission letter yet. Will I get a visa in time?
In order to apply for a Student visa while outside of Australia, it is mandatory to obtain and provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). Once the offshore Student visa application has been lodged, the applicant may be either outside or inside Australia for the visa to be granted.

Can I apply for a second Working Holiday visa?

In order to qualify for a second Working Holiday visa, you will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:

For further information about the second Working Holiday visa, please see:

Can I travel to Australia with a criminal record?
All Australian visa applicants must meet the Character Requirement. Please be aware that our Department is unable to pre-assess whether a client meets this requirement before a visa application is lodged. For information about how to meet the Character Requirement, please see:

Character Requirement factsheet:

Does Australia let me apply for a visa on a Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic emergency passport (nødpas, provisoriske pas)
The Department recommends all clients to travel to Australia on a full validity passport. Nevertheless, if you hold an emergency passport and need to travel urgently to Australia, you may still be able to do it on an emergency passport.

Emergency passport holders are eligible to apply for the relevant Visitor visa option (e.g., Danish, Norwegian and Icelandic passport holders may be eligible to apply for eVisitor visas), as long as their passport allows them to travel to Australia (no travel limitations imposed on the passport) and the validity of the referred document covers their stay in Australia.

In case of permanent residents or longer stays in Australia, the client intending to travel imminently on an emergency passport may need to demonstrate/declare the intention and possibility to obtain a full validity passport as soon as entering Australia.

My passport with my Australian visa has been lost/stolen/damaged, and I am getting an Emergency Passport – do I need to apply for a new visa, or can I transfer my old visa to the new passport number?
If you have changed your passport details, you will need to update the Department with your new details prior to travelling. Unless your passport was lost or stolen, please proceed to update your passport details through your ImmiAccount, in section “Update Us”.

If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, please send your request to [email protected] for distribution to the appropriate area.

I have an alien passport and I am visiting family in Australia, what visa should I apply for?

If you wish to visit Australia for tourist purposes, including visiting family, you are currently residing in Denmark and you hold an alien passport, you may wish to consider lodging a paper-based Visitor visa (Subclass 600) application to our Berlin Office. Please find all the relevant information to apply for this visa through the following link: Visitor visa (Subclass 600):

For other visitor visa options, please see:

I have an alien passport and would like to work in Australia, can I do that?

If you wish to work in Australia you will need to apply for and meet the requirements for a visa with work rights.

There are a number of different temporary and permanent visa options that will allow you to work in Australia. Unless you are eligible to apply for a visa under the “Working Holiday scheme”, the working visas will require you to demonstrate you have skills that are of need to Australia and listed on an occupation list. 

To help you identify a visa that suits your personal circumstances you may like to use our website and ‘Find a visa’ search tool. Please see:

I have an alien passport and would like to move to Australia, can I do that?

There are different visa options in order to move and work in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis based on your professional skills.

Notwithstanding the passport that you hold, you may wish to read some information on different work visa options on our website. Please see below:

If you wish to move to Australia based on other factors (e.g., partner, child or parent of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, investor/entrepreneur, etc.), please use our ‘Find a visa’ search tool for assistance:

I’d like to work as an Au Pair – which visa should I apply for?

Working as an Au pair is not considered a skilled occupation in Australia. The Working Holiday visa program is the only option that allows skilled and non-skilled work in Australia.

For information regarding the eligibility criteria for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417), please see:

For information regarding the eligibility criteria for the Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462), please see:

I am going on a cruise from Australia, can I use a Transit visa?

If you are travelling to another country via Australia, you may be required to obtain a Transit visa. The Transit visa (subclass 771) lets you transit through Australia for no longer than 72 hours. Certain passport holders may be eligible to transit through Australia without a visa (TWOV). For a list of eligible passports for a TWOV, please see:

However, if your cruise is considered a ‘round trip cruise’, you will be treated as if you have not left Australia during the cruise. This means that the time you spend on the cruise will be counted as part of the time your visa allows you to stay in Australia on any given visit. In that case, you may need to apply for a visitor visa to cover the whole duration of your stay. Please liaise with your travel agent to check the type of cruise you intend to undertake.

I need to supply medical tests to get a visa, where can I find Panel doctors?

If you have been requested to undertake a medical and/or radiological examination, you must attend a Panel Physician/radiologist designated by the Australian Government.

To locate your closest panel physician, please see:


Updated/Reviewed : 3 January 2020