All passport applications require an in-person interview
All passport applications require an in-person interview, by appointment at the Australian Embassy in Copenhagen, or at one of our outreach visits (see below). If you are unable to attend an interview in person due to exceptional circumstances, please email [email protected] about your situation.
Please allow up to six weeks from the date of interview for the passport to arrive at the Embassy, once all requirements have been met and payment received.
If you have urgent travel and require an emergency passport, please contact the Embassy on +45 70 26 36 76 or email [email protected] for further details and requirements.
Passport applications are being processed in Australia and your financial institution may apply an international transaction fee for payments processed in Australian currency. Please see our fees and bank details page for more information.
What are the photo requirements?
- You must provide two identical colour photographs of yourself with your passport application form.
- The photographs must be no more than six months old and meet these photo guidelines.
- We strongly recommended the photographs be taken by a professional photographer.
- Some applications require one photograph to be endorsed by a guarantor - please read the instructions for your particular application carefully.
- It is helpful if you can provide four photos, in case one or both photos are rejected for minor scratches, dust or other blemishes when scanned. We will return any unused photos to you with your new passport.
How much does the passport cost?
The passport application fees (in Danish krone) are adjusted monthly due to variations in exchange rate against Australian dollar. Please note that passport fees do not include postage costs.
Please see passport application fees here.
Note: We can only accept your application when complete with all supporting documents and the correct passport application fee has been paid.
How long will it take to process my application?
- The Australian Passport Office (APO) is currently seeing strong demand for passports. For this reason, you are advised to apply for or renew your passport well ahead of your planned travel dates. Further information from the APO is available here.
- Please allow up to six weeks from the date of interview for your passport to arrive at the Embassy, once all requirements have been met. This does not include additional in-country mailing time if you choose to have your new passport sent to you via registered mail.
- If you have an urgent need to travel and cannot wait the standard timeframes for a full validity passport, the Embassy may be able to issue an emergency travel document, in certain limited circumstances. Please contact the Embassy in Copenhagen on + 45 70 26 36 76 or email [email protected] for further details and requirements.
Now that COVID restrictions have lifted, Embassy staff plan to visit Norway twice a year and Iceland once a year to conduct in-person passport interviews and provide notarial services
our last visit to Norway was in April 2022, with the next visit planned for September/October 2022
our last visit to Iceland was in March 2022, with the next visit planned for the first half of 2023.
Exact dates will be advertised on this webpage, the Embassy's Facebook page, and via our 'Vegemite List' email distribution list.
If you would like to join our Vegemite List, please email [email protected] and let us know which country you would like to receive information about (Denmark, Norway or Iceland).
Updated on 17 May 2022